April 5, 1954
A group of enthusiastic people gathered at the Crestwood Community Hall to discuss the possibility of leasing land on city property that had been set aside for park and community grounds for a curling rink. A temporary executive was elected at this time.
April 14, 1954
A meeting occurred with the temporary executive and it was moved that the Crestwood Curling Club proceed with the plans for a curling rink building.
April 30, 1954
Mr. J. R. Jamison, President of the Crestwood Curling Club introduced the Executive and Directors of the Club.
Approximately 150 shares had already been sold and it was decided to erect a wooden frame building with a two store front which would contain the clubs facilities such as club rooms, a kitchen and a possible suite for the caretaker/ice maker.
Mr. Jamison also advised the ladies to ‘get organized’ as they would have ice available to them Monday through Friday afternoons.
May 8, 1954
The executive decided that the curling rink would be of tied arch construction with frame walls.
June 6, 1954
Architect plans were accepted.
June 23, 1954
The City of Edmonton gave permission for the club to clear the building site. The Crestwood Curling Club was now incorporated under the Company’s Act.
The new club and plant was estimated to cost approximately $90,000.00.
The Edmonton Journal reported that “the astonishing thing about the latest addition to Edmonton’s curling fraternity is the Crestwood took shape so quickly. Area residents took it upon themselves to find out if it was feasible and the response was terrific. Seventy five percent of the shareholders had never even curled before!
Crestwood was one of the first clubs to utilize plastic pipes to carry the brine. The downstairs section embraces a spacious waiting room, rest rooms and a dining room and a caretakers’ suite with a private entrance.
Mixed curling became popular at the Crestwood immediately after opening and the rink became very popular among rental leagues.
The first Ladies executive was established in 1954 and Mrs. Jamison was the first president. There were twelve teams at that time and this steadily increased every year.
Feb. 16, 1955
Official Opening of the Crestwood Curling Club. Feature draw was between Matt Baldwin (1954 Brier Champion) and Ole Olson. Admission $1.00 per person and the Door Prize was a Television Set.
Jack Bradley the Clubs president declared “this rink is a memento to the prowess of Baldwin and his team. It also epitomizes the sportsmanship that has been associated with curling for so many years.”
Five years after the opening the existing Crestwood mortgage was paid in full and the club members celebrated with a mortgage burning ceremony with close to two hundred couples in attendance.
Work commenced on the new addition at a cost of $55,000.00. The extension increased the size of the club rooms, café, coffee lounge, caretakers’ suite, office space and additional lockers for the men’s and ladies.
Nov. 27, 1964
The Trout family moved into the new and enlarged suite.
In the following years Crestwood focused on filling the leagues and supporting the champions that curled out of the Crestwood Curling Club.
Crestwood Curling Club celebrated its’ twenty-fifth anniversary. As the curlers reminisced about the club many stories were brought forward. Stories like hiking through the bush and wondering if they could find the club since there was no road into the location. Other members spoke of the champions that came out of the Crestwood; National Junior Men’s Champions, John Trout, Stan Trout and Rob King. Hazel Jamison with her three daughters Gale Lee, June Coyle and Jackie as two time winners of the National Lassie. Junior girls champion Cathy King and the 1979 provincial men’s champion Paul Devlin.
The Crestwood also had the honor of being the first club in the city to sponsor junior curling.
Crestwood received a grant to aid in the purchase and installation of a new ice plant.
Summer of 2004
Major Lounge renovation increasing the size of our lounge. New washrooms. New seamless glass for better viewing. New tables and chairs. Large full service bar with walk in cooler.
February 12, 2004
Crestwood Curling Club celebrates its 50th Anniversary.
Summer of 2010
Sand base was replaced with a new concrete base. New mechanical room with high efficient furnace and on demand hot water system.